“Your eyes show the strength of your soul”, a quote by Brazilian lyricist and novelist Paulo Coelho. (1) Additionally, your eyes show the strength and longevity of your entire being. Eye Health is defined as the state in which vision, ocular health, and functional ability is maximized, thereby contributing to overall health and wellbeing, social inclusion, and quality of life. According to Medical Eye Center, your eyesight is one of your most important senses: 80% of what we perceive comes through our sense of sight. By protecting your eyes, you will lessen the odds of unhealthy vision (2)
One of the most common reasons eye health concerns develop, is old age since vision difficulties are more common once we grow older. Hence, why taking care of eye health and vision at an early age are truly important. With increase screen time on our cellphones, the binge watching of certain television shows, eye health is important to keep in my mind while enjoying these devices. Some studies even show that the eyes can get dry and irritated during long times of screen use. People of all ages blink far less often when concentrating on a screen, which in turn causes the eyes to dry out. A clear and stable tear film on the eye surface is essential for clear vision. (3)
Many often want to know how they can improve the overall health of their eyes. Statistics suggest that eating healthier foods, not smoking, wearing sunglasses during outdoor activities, protecting your eyes from hazards, limiting your screen time, and visiting your eye doctor regularly will help i with overall eye health. In addition to those tips, our nutraMetrix Isotonix® Vision Formula with Lutein and nutraMetrix® Prime™ Vision Eye Health Formula supplements will help you along your journey to support Eye Health and Vision. Some key benefits of nutraMetrix Isotonix® Vision Formula with Lutein are: promotes healthy vision, helps support healthy eye tissue and circulation, supports night vision, and helps maintain eye health as you age. Key benefits of nutraMetrix® Prime™ Vision Eye Health Formula: promotes healthy vision and macular density and uses recommended amounts of FloraGlo lutein and zeaxanthin, as used in the AREDS2 study. With putting the efforts into better eye health, you will see progress day by day. Eye Health is very important and must be taken seriously.
Additional to improving the overall health of your eyes (4):
- Protect your eyes – Sunglasses with 100% UV protection safeguards your eyes from the sun’s potentially harmful ultraviolet radiation. When needed, protective eyewear offers a different type of protection — a physical barrier between your eyes and damaging objects.
- Stay active – Exercising and moving around throughout the day can benefit your eyes and the rest of your body too. Research continues to show a possible relationship between exercise and eye health, degeneration.
- Eat plenty of healthy, whole foods – Proper nutrition is a big part of at-home eye care. Consuming plenty of nutrients — including omega-3s, bioflavonoids, and vitamins A, C, D and E — can help keep your vision sharp.
- Quit smoking – Smoking may cause eyes to become drier than normal.. .
- Cut back on-screen time – Long hours in front of a digital screen can lead to eye strain and dry eyes.
- Stay hydrated – Drinking enough water throughout the day helps keep your eyes lubricated with tears. A healthy tear film leads to more comfortable eyes and less eye strain.
- Care for your contacts – Misusing contact lenses can lead to unnecessary side effects. If you wear contacts, follow any care guidelines provided by your lens manufacturer and eye doctor to limit the risk of experiencing unwelcome effects.
- Manage whole-body conditions – Maintaining a healthy lifestyle with a long-term condition can greatly reduce your chances of developing eye concerns.
- Schedule an eye exam – Eye doctors play a critical role in the wellbeing of your eyes and vision. Regular eye exams allow them to spot any unusual signs as early as possible.