By Mayson Marshall, nutraMetrix Program Coordinator
Children and teenagers are constantly developing and changing; it is important that healthy habits are encouraged in their life to ensure they are developing properly and remain healthy. With school starting soon what are good routines you can incorporate to promote the overall well-being of your kids?
Lack of sleep can lead to behavior problems, lack of attention, poor mental health, increase risks of disease and injury. Children ages 6 to 12 need 9 to 12 hours of sleep while teenagers 13 to 18 need 8-10 hours of sleep. (1) Having a proper sleep routine can improve quality of focus throughout the day, whether that be in the classroom, afterschool doing homework, or during recreational sports.
With childhood obesity being a common concern today, it is important to promote physical activity in our youth. Kids from the age of 6 through 17 should participate in at least 60 minutes of exercise daily. (2) What are the health benefits of exercise in kids? (3)
- Assist in developing healthy bones, muscles, joints.
- Assist in developing healthy heart and lungs.
- Promotes good posture, balance, and coordination.
- Assist in maintaining body weight and preventing disease.
- Promotes better concentration throughout the day.
It is important for children to consume a nutritious diet as it helps promote their development, reduce risk of disease, and maintain a healthy weight. (4) Nutrient dense foods promote better cognitive function throughout the day as well as energy, which is especially needed for students attending school all day. At a young age it is also beneficial for youth to be educated on food and eating behaviors as 40% of kids and teenagers’ diet are sugars and fats; known as empty calories, these are sourced from soda, fruit juices, whole milk, and desserts. (4) Examples of what students should be eating are fruits, vegetables, protein, and grains.
nutraMetrix offers quite a few products specific for kids through our DNA Miracles product line. nutraMetrix DNA Miracles Multivitamin supports immune function, healthy skeletal growth and cognitive health and development. With kids going back to school and being back around other students, the nutraMetrix DNA Miracles Isotonix Immune is a great product that promotes the body’s natural immune response. Click here to learn more about other great supplement options for children and teenagers.*
- Promoting Health for Children and Adolescents | CDC
- How much physical activity do children need? | Physical Activity | DNPAO | CDC
- Benefits of physical activity for children | healthdirect
- Childhood Nutrition Facts | Healthy Schools | CDC
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.